Much more that just a healthy breakfast, oatmeal actually gives us much to be excited about as skincare creators!
Oatmeal is naturally rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and lipids.
Many scientific studies have been carried out on the benefits of oatmeal and demonstrate that oatmeal has a sustainable moisturising effect.
It significantly improves skin dryness and roughness, and this effect lasts even after use of the oatmeal containing products has stopped.
11 reasons to use Oatmeal in your natural skincare products
- helps keep skin hydrated by forming an occlusive layer on the surface that retains water in the skin
- allows natural and gentle cleansing of skin due to presence of saponins
- provides gentle exfoliation
- imparts moisturising, soothing, conditioning, and nourishing qualities, significantly improving skin dryness and roughness.
- helps reduce skin inflammation making it ideal for treating inflammatory skin conditions.
- has been found to protect the skin from irritation caused by Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)
- has antioxidant properties due to the presence of different types of phenols including ferulic and caffeic acids
- contains flavanoids that are strong UVA screens (they absorb UVA)
- is non irritating and has low allergenic potential
- is suited for all skin types including sensitive and problem skin such as acne, eczema and psoriasis
- is inexpensive and readily available!
Inspired? We hope so!
For more inspiration and recipes download our Natural Beauty Recipe Book below!
Safety and efficacy of personal care products containing colloidal oatmeal, Maryline Criquet, Romain Roure, Liliane Dayan, Virginie Nollent, and Christiane Bertin
Colloidal oatmeal: history, chemistry and clinical properties, Kurtz ES, Wallo W.