Most people are very familiar with facial serums and eye serums but did you know that’s just the beginning when it comes to serums!
We normally spend more time taking care of our facial skin, but the skin on the rest of the body is just as complex. While it is true that our faces get much more sun and air exposure, which affects the condition of the skin, the rest of our body also experiences issues that need some TLC too.
Enter body serums.
A newer cosmetic product to gain popularity, body serums provide specific benefits and high-performance ingredients to the skin on our bodies.
Extremely dry, sensitive, aging or dull skin on the body requires just as much attention and care as the skin on our face, with well-formulated products to address these issues. Body serums are more advanced bodycare products that go beyond the basic moisturizing benefits of lotions and body creams. With the right choice of active ingredients, they can address the issues of many skin types.
From a marketing point of view, body serums are an interesting, novel product that grabs the attention of a consumer more than just a regular body lotion. Many big and innovative brands are launching body serums in their cosmetic lines.
Formulating different types of body serum
Body serums can take many forms:
- Anhydrous body serums.
- Emulsion-based body serums.
- Gel-based body serums.
- Bi-phase body serums.
Functions/benefits and properties/qualities of body serums
Body serums can address many different skin issues and can be formulated to suit different skin types. The functions and benefits offered by a body serum will depend on the skin type it is formulated for and the particular solution it is aiming to provide, for example:
The properties of body serums can vary a lot, depending on the product type – from more nourishing anhydrous serums to light and refreshing gel serums.
Examples of body serums on the market
For inspiration about what it’s possible to formulate take a look at some examples of body serums on the market.
REN CLEAN SKINCARE AHA Smart Renewal Body Serum
Described as “A moisturizing body serum containing AHAs that works with the skin to naturally exfoliate, leaving skin radiant with a natural glow. This 10 percent AHA exfoliating body serum delivers a full-body exfoliation without scrubbing.”
One Love Organics Gardenia + Tea Antioxidant Body Serum
This serum is “..packed with antioxidants, this intensely nourishing body treatment protects your skin from damaging free radicals.”
Tracie Martyn Resculpting Neck and Body Serum
This serum is “…a lightweight serum for tightening and firming the most delicate areas of your skin.”
Formulate your own high-performance body serums
When you enroll on our Advanced Certificate in High-Performance Serum Formulation you’ll also get a free body class on Formulating body serums!
Included in this class is a detailed guide on how to formulate body serums plus an assortment of useful product development briefs and formulation templates to help you formulate your own.
We also include 3 ready to use formulation examples that you can get making straight away!
- Anti-aging antioxidant hand serum to protect against sun exposure and minimize the signs of aging.
- Ultra soothing body serum with chia and bisabolol to soothe redness, sensitivity and inflammation in the skin.
- Intensively moisturizing + barrier repair body serum with hyaluronic acid and ceramides to moisturize dry skin with the help of humectants and to lower TEWL with the help of barrier supporting ingredients.
Download our free Vitamin C Antioxidant Serum formula!
Want the benefits of Vitamin C but confused about how to formulate with it? Perhaps you’ve heard about its potent anti-aging benefits but also that it is highly unstable and oxidizes very quickly. Don’t worry, we’ve created a free guide to help.
In our Quick guide to formulating with Vitamin C you’ll learn:
- What is Vitamin C?
- What are the benefits of Vitamin C?
- What type of cosmetic is it suitable for?
- Stable forms of Vitamin C and how to use them
- Plus we’ll share with you a Vitamin C antioxidant serum formula you can make yourself!
Vitamin C offers amazing benefits for the skin:
- It boosts collagen production, and thus helps to keep the skin healthy and plump.
- It’s an antioxidant and, especially in synergy with Vitamin E, it protects skin cells from oxidative stress and damage due to UV light exposure.
- Vitamin C therefore functions as a potent anti-aging ingredient.
Become a naturalskincare formulator!
Sign up for our free newsletter and get our best product making tips, expert formulating advice and course offers... plus our Natural Beauty Recipe Book.