Today we’re sharing our secret facial serum ingredient that has proven a hit with many of our students!
Our secret ingredient is…olive squalane (INCI: Squalane).
There are so many benefits of using olive squalane in your skincare products. Let’s explore them now.
What is olive squalane and why should you use it in skincare?
Many natural serums are made from specialist nutritious plant and vegetable oils. There are many oils that work wonders on the skin but some people don’t like the idea of using oil on their skin fearing it will leave it oily. It rarely does but if this is something you’re concerned about, you will love olive squalane.
Derived from olive oil it’s not like an oil at all. Vegetable oils consist of long molecules called triglycerides, which are made of fatty acids and glycerin. Depending on the fatty acids in the molecules, the oils can feel light or heavy, silky or greasy, they can absorb quickly or slowly. Squalane is a special molecule, completely different to triglycerides. It is similar to squalene, which occurs naturally in the sebum our skin produces. Light and easily absorbed, it leaves the skin really silky and smooth. It softens the skin, improves elasticity, protects against moisture loss and has a luxurious skin feel.
11 benefits of olive squalane for skin:
- An excellent natural emollient that smoothes and softens skin.
- Similar to the skin’s natural oil (sebum).
- Penetrates the skin easily so a great carrier for other ingredients.
- Enhances elasticity.
- Spreads on the skin easily.
- Protects against moisture loss.
- Clear and odorless.
- Stable and has a long shelf life.
- From a natural and renewable source – olives.
- Light and quickly absorbed.
- Creates a luxurious, silky skin feel.
Where to buy olive squalane
Soap Kitchen (UK)
New Directions (Australia)
How to use olive squalane in skincare products
Olive squalane can be used at up to 100% in your formulations or recipes. It can be used in place of another carrier oil.
It is more expensive than other carrier oils so we like to reserve it for use in luxurious facial serums and creams.
Rejuvenating Facial Serum recipe
This silky smooth serum uses some wonderful natural anti-aging ingredients. Frankincense encourages new cell growth and is one of the best known regenerating essential oils. Pomegranate oil is rich in antioxidants and regenerates and repairs skin. Olive squalane moisturizes and protects the skin, enhances elasticity and leaves a beautiful silky skin feel.
You will need:
89g olive squalane
10g pomegranate oil (or another carrier oil of your choice)
1g frankincense essential oil
Weigh all your ingredients and mix together thoroughly. Massage a little serum into the face in the morning or evening.
Simple and gorgeous. Enjoy!
Kim, S. K., & Karadeniz, F. (2012). Biological importance and applications of squalene and squalane. In Advances in food and nutrition research (Vol. 65, pp. 223-233). Academic Press.
Download our free Vitamin C Antioxidant Serum formula!
Want the benefits of Vitamin C but confused about how to formulate with it? Perhaps you’ve heard about its potent anti-aging benefits but also that it is highly unstable and oxidizes very quickly. Don’t worry, we’ve created a free guide to help.
In our Quick guide to formulating with Vitamin C you’ll learn:
- What is Vitamin C?
- What are the benefits of Vitamin C?
- What type of cosmetic is it suitable for?
- Stable forms of Vitamin C and how to use them
- Plus we’ll share with you a Vitamin C antioxidant serum formula you can make yourself!
Vitamin C offers amazing benefits for the skin:
- It boosts collagen production, and thus helps to keep the skin healthy and plump.
- It’s an antioxidant and, especially in synergy with Vitamin E, it protects skin cells from oxidative stress and damage due to UV light exposure.
- Vitamin C therefore functions as a potent anti-aging ingredient.
Enjoyed learning about our secret ingredient? Save this image below on Pinterest so you can be sure to remember!
Learn the proper way to create your own products from a team of professionals with our Certificate in Making Natural Skincare Products
Become a naturalskincare formulator!
Sign up for our free newsletter and get our best product making tips, expert formulating advice and course offers... plus our Natural Beauty Recipe Book.