Cosmetic Scientist / Cosmetic Chemist / Cosmetic Formulator – Natural and Organic Cosmetics.
Role: Cosmetic Scientist
Location: Ashburton, South Devon UK
Type: Permanent, full time
Salary: £20-40k + pension depending on skills and experience
HOW TO APPLY?
Please email a copy of your CV/Resume with a covering letter that supports your application and demonstrates your suitability for this role to email@example.com using the subject line Application: Cosmetic Scientist.
The Cosmetic Formulator/Scientist is responsible for the provision of cosmetics subject matter expertise across our online courses, programs, memberships, free trainings and free resources as well as in support of publications, film production, marketing, customer service and student services.
This will see the Cosmetic Formulator/Scientist create formulations, conduct cosmetic product and formulation experiments, prepare and send products off for cosmetic testing, write and create course materials, write articles, write and create free training materials, record videos, support students during their studies, mark end of course assignments and help customer service by answering questions.
Additionally, the Cosmetic Formulator/Scientist will be required to conduct research across a broad range of cosmetics related topics to ensure that our online portfolio is up to date, that what we’re teaching is of the highest standard and that our students are professionally supported.
The School of Natural Skincare is the world’s premier online natural skincare school, teaching students in over 130 countries worldwide to make natural and organic skincare and haircare products either for themselves or to sell, through our portfolio of online multimedia courses.
The successful candidate will be joining a multi-award winning, accredited, ethical and inspiring organisation at our beautiful South Devon HQ in Ashburton where intuition, integrity, individuality and innovation are at the core of everything we do.
We are experiencing rapid growth and we are now looking to add to our growing team someone who has the required skills and experience as well as a passion for all things natural, organic, ethical and sustainable.
Health and wellbeing are important to us, which is why we hold weekly yoga classes in our lovely office and run other wellbeing workshops from time to time, such as meditation and mindfulness.
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES (including but not limited to):
- Create formulations for a wide range of natural & organic cosmetics using COSMOS standards as a guideline.
- Research ingredients that comply with COSMOS/sustainability standards, trial ingredients, conduct experiments and evaluate results, sharing these experiences with students.
- Review the materials and content of our online courses, online programs, online membership, eBooks and various free online training to ensure consistency, quality and accuracy is being delivered the required standard.
- Create or contribute to educational resources including course materials, guides, video demonstrations, interactive learning related to formulating natural skincare, haircare and colour cosmetics.
- Provide marketing with subject matter expertise for email marketing, social media marketing, blog marketing, competitions, challenges, free trainings and downloads, articles, adverts and PR.
- Support our students with their studies by answering questions, providing formulation and troubleshooting advice.
- Host specialist Q&A sessions, webinars, live demonstration videos and virtual workshops for students, graduates and members.
- Deliver 1:1 formulating consultancy and student support.
- Support customer service by answering questions from people enquiring about the school, our courses and memberships or asking for specific subject matter expertise.
- Write / research information for articles and social media about a variety of topics related to natural and organic skincare, product formulation, trends and cosmetic safety.
- Attend trade shows and conferences.
- Keep up to date with raw material launches and product formulation and market trends.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the cosmetic regulations and ensure all products are developed in line with safety and legal guidelines.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Preferably a degree in Cosmetic Science or related scientific discipline with a substantial component of chemistry and/or biology.
- At least 1 year of practical formulating experience of natural and/or organic cosmetics.
- Logical and scientific approach to formulating and a high level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience of using a range of natural emulsifiers, surfactants, preservatives and other cosmetic ingredients.
- Ability to conduct research into natural/plant derived ingredients (including uses, benefits, efficacy, sourcing, manufacturing etc.).
- Keen interest in latest trends, developments and advances in the industry and ability to report on these.
- Passionate about, and personal interest in, natural and organic skincare. • Enjoys sharing ideas, findings, experiments and advice and teaching others.
- Experience using a range of social media platforms.
- Excellent customer service skills with evidence of strong collaborative skills across teams in multiple geographic locations.
- Works collaboratively and is willing to learn.
- High level of interpersonal skills, awareness of the organization and ability to build positive relationships.
- Personable, positive, friendly, trustworthy and can-do attitude with proven ability to use ones own initiative.
- Supports the business and its Directors in the evolution of the company, its values and beliefs.
- Excellent creative thinker, adept at idea generation.
- Acts to resolve issues across the business to deliver the best results.
- Seeks new opportunities to develop.
- Thinks commercially: pursues goals which will maximise business benefits and enhance the brand.
- Comfortable working under pressure and have the ability both to take direction and work under your own initiative, sometimes at home, designing for both offline and online briefs.
- Solutions oriented with the proven ability to manage multiple projects at once, take ownership of your work and deliver end results that surpass the initial brief.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong time management with the ability to respond and act in a fluctuating business.
- Fluency in written and verbal English. Ability to write clearly and succinctly, explain complex subjects in an easy to understand way.
- Excellent organization skills, the ability to plan, prioritize and manage own workload, work independently to a schedule and meet deadlines.
- Proactive, able to come up with ideas that will interest, educate and inspire our audience.
- Can use initiative to solve problems and make suggestions.
- Helpful, polite, positive outlook and a can-do attitude.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Qualification in Cosmetic Science.
- Experience of product development from product brief to finished product.
- Knowledge of cosmetic regulations and certifications.
- Experience of product testing eg stability and PET.
- Knowledge of, or an interest in researching, value based cosmetics e.g. organic, natural, vegan, fairtrade, sustainable, halal, fair trade, zero waste.
- Able to take good photos and record videos.
- Happy in front of a camera and willing to present lessons and content on pre-recorded video and/or Facebook Live.
- Experience of using online software eg Google Drive and Asana.
- An interest in natural & organic living, sustainability, ethical topics and the environment.
- An interest in cosmetics and the beauty industry.
- Experience of working with partner organisations and external clients.