Much more that just a healthy breakfast, oatmeal actually gives us much to be excited about as skincare creators!
Oatmeal is naturally rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and lipids.
Many scientific studies have been carried out on the benefits of oatmeal and demonstrate that oatmeal has a sustainable moisturizing effect.
It significantly improves skin dryness and roughness, and this effect lasts even after use of the oatmeal containing products has stopped.
11 reasons to use oatmeal in your natural skincare products
- helps to keep skin hydrated by forming an occlusive layer on the surface that retains water in the skin
- allows natural and gentle cleansing of skin due to presence of saponins
- provides gentle exfoliation
- imparts moisturizing, soothing, conditioning, and nourishing qualities, significantly improving skin dryness and roughness
- helps reduce skin inflammation making it ideal for treating inflammatory skin conditions
- has been found to protect the skin from irritation caused by Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)
- has antioxidant properties due to the presence of different types of phenols including ferulic and caffeic acids
- contains flavonoids that are strong UVA screens (they absorb UVA)
- is non-irritating and has low allergenic potential
- is suited for all skin types including sensitive and problem skin such as acne, eczema and psoriasis
- is inexpensive and readily available!
How to include oatmeal in your skincare and bodycare products?
Try colloidal oatmeal as an addition to a soothing bath powder or combine it with kaolin clay and tapioca starch in a mask for irritated and sensitive skin. You can even use coarser oatmeal as a super gentle exfoliant and cleanser for the face – just add some honey and a splash of water!
Inspired? We hope so!
Safety and efficacy of personal care products containing colloidal oatmeal, Maryline Criquet, Romain Roure, Liliane Dayan, Virginie Nollent, and Christiane Bertin.
Colloidal oatmeal: history, chemistry and clinical properties, Kurtz ES, Wallo W.
FREE VIDEO TRAINING SERIES:
HOW TO FORMULATE NATURAL & ORGANIC CLEANSERS
There are many different types of facial cleanser that you can make (or buy) and each is formulated in a completely different way.
In this free video training series we’ll look at the different types of cleansing products in detail so you’ll know how to formulate them for yourself or to sell.
With this training you'll get:
- The essential theory required to make a natural & organic cleansers
- A free formula for a natural Jelly Cleanser created in our Cosmetics Lab by our team of Cosmetic Scientist
- A free formula for a more simple cleansing balm created in our Cosmetics Lab by our team of Cosmetic Scientist
- A video demonstration showing you how to make a Jelly Cleanser using the free formula we give you! You get to see how it is all done in practice!
- A supplier list so you can buy the ingredients and make your cleansers
Enjoyed reading about the benefits of oats? Save this image below on Pinterest so you can be sure to remember!
Become a naturalskincare formulator!
Sign up for our free newsletter and get our best product making tips, expert formulating advice and course offers... plus our Natural Beauty Recipe Book.