There are so many reasons to add buriti oil to your skincare products! Here our Cosmetic Scientist, Chandi Patel, gives an overview of the oil and its benefits.
Buriti oil (INCI: Mauritia Flexuosa (Buriti) Fruit Oil) comes from the moriche palm tree in the Amazon. This exotic oil contains many excellent benefits for the skin and is a wonderful addition to your products both for the benefits it provides and to add an interesting twist to your product story.
Benefits of buriti oil for skincare:
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Helps in lightening dark spots caused by sun exposure.
- Restores skin elasticity.
- Protects the skin against photo-damage.
- Helps to protect the membranes surrounding skin cells which keep the skin cells healthy for longer.
- Great emollient properties which help to rebuild, moisturize and rehydrate skin cells.
- Anti-inflammatory properties help combat skin conditions such as redness, rashes, sensitive skin, roughness and irritation.
Composition of buriti oil:
Richest natural source of beta-carotene – known as an excellent natural antioxidant. It is this high natural beta-carotene concentration that protects the skin against photo-damage and, also helps to protect the membranes surrounding skin cells, which keeps the skin cells healthy for longer.
Rich in unsaturated fatty acids and contains vitamins E and A which promotes great emollient properties, which help to rebuild, moisturize and rehydrate skin cells.
What is buriti oil used for?
Buriti oil can be used in many skincare formulations including:
- Body and facial cleansers.
- Body and facial moisturizers.
- Haircare preparations especially for those with dry, brittle and damaged hair.
- Lip care.
It can be used by all skin types but is particularly suited for dry, mature and aging skin, eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions.
You can find buriti oil from suppliers such as From Nature with Love in the USA and Akoma in the UK.
We include buriti oil in our Vitamin C Antioxidant Serum formula which you can download below!
Zanatta, C. F., Mitjans, M., Urgatondo, V., Rocha-Filho, P. A., & Vinardell, M. P. (2010). Photoprotective potential of emulsions formulated with Buriti oil (Mauritia flexuosa) against UV irradiation on keratinocytes and fibroblasts cell lines. Food and chemical toxicology, 48(1), 70-75.
Ferreira, B. S., De Almeida, C. G., Faza, L. P., De Almeida, A., Diniz, C. G., Silva, V. L. D., … & Le Hyaric, M. (2011). Comparative properties of amazonian oils obtained by different extraction methods. Molecules, 16(7), 5875-5885.
Download our free Vitamin C Antioxidant Serum formula!
Want the benefits of Vitamin C but confused about how to formulate with it? Perhaps you’ve heard about its potent anti-aging benefits but also that it is highly unstable and oxidizes very quickly. Don’t worry, we’ve created a free guide to help.
In our Quick guide to formulating with Vitamin C you’ll learn:
- What is Vitamin C?
- What are the benefits of Vitamin C?
- What type of cosmetic is it suitable for?
- Stable forms of Vitamin C and how to use them
- Plus we’ll share with you a Vitamin C antioxidant serum formula you can make yourself!
Vitamin C offers amazing benefits for the skin:
- It boosts collagen production, and thus helps to keep the skin healthy and plump.
- It’s an antioxidant and, especially in synergy with Vitamin E, it protects skin cells from oxidative stress and damage due to UV light exposure.
- Vitamin C therefore functions as a potent anti-aging ingredient.
Become a naturalskincare formulator!
Sign up for our free newsletter and get our best product making tips, expert formulating advice and course offers... plus our Natural Beauty Recipe Book.