Here is a simple formulation for an anhydrous face serum, specifically formulated with ingredients to improve the appearance of
Carrier oils: camellia oil, rosehip oil, olive squalane, meadowfoam oil.
Essential oils: frankincense, palmarosa.
Supercritical C02 extract: seabuckthorn.
Facial serum ingredients
Camellia oil offers emollient, astringent and
Rosehip oil (wild rose) contains tretinoin (vitamin A), to reduce wrinkles, boost elasticity and firm, while fading
Olive squalane feels very light and absorbs rapidly, yet penetrates deeply to hydrate, improve elasticity, and boost cell regeneration, while offering humectant qualities by drawing water from the surrounding environment into the skin. Read more about olive squalane here.
Meadowfoam oil is a great emollient, which reduces wrinkles and hydrates without a heavy feel on the skin.
Frankincense essential oil is astringent and
Palmarosa essential oil hydrates and promotes healing, while softening, smoothing and encouraging cell regeneration. (No known contraindications.)
Sea buckthorn regenerates, repairs and retains moisture while reducing trans-epidermal water loss. It enhances skin elasticity and is a very rich source of a variety of antioxidants such as carotenoids, tocopherols and flavonoids.
Facial serum recipe/formula
46% camellia oil
20.9% rosehip seed oil
15% meadowfoam seed oil
15% squalane (olive)
0.1% Vitamin E
1% seabuckthorn C02
1% frankincense essential oil
1% palmarosa essential oil
How to make the facial serum
Use only clean equipment and tools, and always follow good manufacturing practices (GMP) when making any natural product.
- Measure the plant oils listed above by weight (grams), into a clean glass or stainless steel bowl, according to the following measurements provided in the chart below (for a 100g batch).
- Once all of the oils have been measured and added, gently mix the oils together until well blended.
- Decant the facial serum into dropper bottles, and clearly label.
Shelf-life and storage
The facial serum will last for 6-12 months, as vitamin E has been included in the formula as an antioxidant to slow the rate of rancidity. This is an anhydrous product which does not contain a preservative, so be careful not to contaminate the product with water or microbes from hand contact. If contamination of the product is suspected, dispose of it immediately.
Click the image below to download your
Free Natural Beauty Recipe Book!
Learn to make your own natural skincare products with luxurious natural ingredients.
Download this fabulous book and discover recipes for:
- Frankincense Anti-Aging Facial Serum with Coenzyme Q10
- Lavender and Geranium Rejuvenating Facial Serum
- Protective Winter Time Hand Cream
- Orange and Ylang Ylang Facial Moisturizer for Dry Skin
- Grapefruit and Orange Stretch Mark Body Butter
- Soothing and Moisturizing Facial Mist
Become a naturalskincare formulator!
Sign up for our free newsletter and get our best product making tips, expert formulating advice and course offers... plus our Natural Beauty Recipe Book.